Stuffed zucchini blossoms
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- 16 fresh organic zucchini blossoms carefully wash and remove the stems.
- 16 tbsp. organic Arborio rice (prefer non-GMO)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large size red onions, finely chopped
- 1 organic vegetable cube
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F.
- 2. In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 3. Lightly sauté the onions until transparent.
- 4. Add the rice and sauté for 1 minute, while constantly stirring.
- 5. Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable cube. Stir and cook another 3 minutes or until tomato juices have mostly evaporated.
- 6. Add ¼ cup water and bring to a simmer. Rice should be half cooked by this point. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- 7. Stir in the parsley, mint, salt and pepper.
- 8. Stuff blossoms very gently so as not to tear, and only up to 2/3 full to allow room for the rice to expand. Twist the tops to seal.
- 9. Arrange in a deep baking dish. Spoon any leftover filling and juices in between the stuffed blossoms.
- 10. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil as the blossoms are very sensitive and can quickly dry or burn. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 11. Reduce the oven to 170°C/340°F and continue to bake for 20 minutes.
- 12. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
- 13. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, until ready to serve.
- 14. Best served warm (not hot) or at room temperature.
- 15. Note: Cook the blossoms within one day of purchasing, they are very delicate and cannot be stored for too long.