Oven-baked cod steaks with potatoes, tomatoes and onions
Published on November 27, 2014 | By Not just olive oil |
- Difficulty Level Begginer
- 700g/1 ½ lb. cod, steak slices (or any white flesh fish)
- 700g/1 ½ lb. organic potatoes, peeled, sliced approx: 1/2 cm-1/4 in
- 1 large onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano (2 tsp fresh oregano leaves, if available)
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can organic peeled tomatoes (use fresh ripe tomatoes when in season, chopped)
- 2 ripe organic tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup hot water
- 12 black olives, pitted
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°c/360°f.
- 2. In a bowl, mix the potatoes, onion, rosemary leaves, olive oil, some salt and pepper.
- 3. Arrange the sliced potato mixture in a baking dish to neatly cover the entire bottom. Push the 2 unpeeled garlic cloves into the potatoes one on each side of the pan.
- 4. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the potatoes. Add the warm water.
- 5. Nest the fish slices among the vegetables.
- 6. Place a tomato slice on top of each fish slice and sprinkle with oregano.
- 7. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, occasionally pouring some of the pan juices over the fish.
- 8. Add the olives and return to oven for another 15 minutes. Add some water if needed.
- 9. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper as garnish. Serve with crusty bread and a large tomato salad.