Greek lamb chops with ouzo flavored parcel potatoes
Published on November 25, 2014 | By Not just olive oil |
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- 8 lamb chops
- pinch of dried oregano per lamb chop
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- Parcel potatoes:
- 400g/ about 1lb small potatoes (20 pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 bay leaves
- lemon zest from 1 lemon (yellow part only)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. ouzo (optional, can substitute with lemon juice)
- 4 pieces of oven-proof wax paper
- natural cooking string
- 1. Wash and scrub potatoes very well.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, ouzo, lemon zest until creamy.
- 3. Add potatoes, garlic and bay leaves to the bowl.
- 4. Turn oven to 170°c/340°f to preheat.
- 5. Toss potatoes and let stand for about 30 minutes.
- 6. Separate the potatoes and garlic onto the 4 wax papers, adding salt and pepper.
- 7. Wrap the paper up around the potatoes and tie at the top with the string to form a pouch.
- 8. Place the parcels in a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.
- 9. When potatoes are nearly ready, sprinkle lamb chops on both sides with salt, pepper and oregano. Gently press seasonings into the meat.
- 10. Heat a grilling pan, or non-stick pan, or barbecue grill to medium-high heat.
- 11. Cook the lamb chops (ungreased pan) until medium rare, 4 minutes on each side. (turn only once)
- 12. Place 2 lamb chops on each plate, sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and serve with the parcel potatoes and a nice big tomato salad!