Traditional Greek Butter Cookies
Published on July 4, 2014 | By Not just olive oil |
- 240g / ½ lb. / 1 cup unsalted organic butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. cognac
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- approx. 1 cup powdered sugar for sprinkling
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°/340°.
- 2. Beat the butter for 10 minutes on medium high speed.
- 3. Add the cognac and vanilla, continue to beat for another 10 minutes until white and fluffy. (The longer you whip the butter the better it is, that’s mainly the secret to this recipe, see photo below)
- 4. Turn down speed, to low and slowly start adding all the rest of the ingredients. Continue to mix, on low, until everything is well blended and the dough is very soft but not sticky.
- 5. To form the traditional shapes: Roll 1 tbsp. of dough into crescent shapes and place on a baking paper lined cookie sheet. A very quick and easy alternative is to roll out the dough to 1cm/ ½ in. thick and cut out star shapes with a cookie cutter- Kelly style
- 6. Bake for 20 minutes until they have a faint golden tint.
- 7. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and while still warm, using a sifter, sprinkle them with enough powdered sugar to completely cover them. (Optional)